Wednesday, May 5, 2010

First day back at school after a 5-day weekend.

On Saturday I went to Pyeongchang and stayed overnight at my co-teacher's parents' house. They are farmers in a village of about 10 houses (I didn't count). It was quiet and beautiful and peaceful - everything the city is not. I am such a country girl. Her parents don't speak a word of English, but they were hard-working, kind and welcoming. Even though I was in a totally different world, I couldn't help laughing when, after the day's work was done, I found myself sitting in the living room watching TV with Marrisa's parents. I thought - if I was at my parents' house right now, we'd probably be doing the same thing! People are people. I think the highlight of that trip was when I got to pick vegetables that we later ate! I love working the land and hope to someday be able to grow my own food for my family. On Sunday afternoon we left Pyeongchang and went to Wonju, which is the largest city (population wise) in my rural province of Gangwon. Before arriving at our destination (Marrisa's sister's apartment), we stopped and hiked for about an hour on a beautiful mountain trail that led to an ancient Buddhist temple. You know, just a Sunday stroll in the park, with some 2,000 year old buildings thrown in for good measure. After stopping at the bakery to buy a pumpkin cake for Marrisa's nephew (his mom said chocolate is too unhealthy), we finally arrived at the apartment. It was on the 19th-ish floor of a typical Korean high-rise apartment building. Their home was peaceful and comfortable. They have nine and five year old sons, and a 6 month old daughter. The kids and the food and the company... it was all nice. But what I reallllllly liked was the bed I slept in: latex mattress (AKA the first soft mattress I've experienced in Asia! haha. I slept for like 14 hours! It was very refreshing. Plus, there was a heated blanket. ahhhhhh).

No comments:

Post a Comment